Published December 17, 2020
The SLSG believes in bringing members of the sport community together through our monthly “Conversation Matters: You Ask, We Share”, spending an hour with sport leaders from across the country sharing information and responding to questions on employment, insurance, leadership, financial management, grief management, equity, diversity and inclusion and other matters related to managing through COVID-19.
Here’s what members of the SLSG Team (Lauren Brett, LJ Bartle, Jason Robinson and Dina Bell-Laroche) had to share on this our last conversation of the year on December 9th:
- As we get ready to leave 2020 behind and make room for 2021, it’s important to pause and reflect on the accumulation of losses that many of us are still grappling with. To learn about healthy and healing ways to reconcile loss, please take a moment to read A Grief Expressed. If you are curious about hosting a Grief Café or ways we can better support each other through loss, please connect with DBL@sportlaw.ca.
- We spoke about ways we might re-imagine sport so that the system and structures that underpin our sector are designed to help us thrive. For ideas on how we might do so, please read our blog on Re-Imagining Sport – the Conversation Continues.
- We are entrenched in so many sport organizations safe sport commitments and we spoke about a more holistic and strategic way to ensure that policies are working through engagement sessions, powerful questions, and inspired action. For more information on how you can implement your safe sport commitments, please read more about it here and connect with LJB@sportlaw.ca.
- Ensuring that your fiduciary commitments are honored has been no small task this past year. We spoke about securing the services of a parliamentarian and the use of the Simply Voting platform. The impact of this important service might mean that we will host more effective, efficient, and inclusive member meetings at AGMs. Who knows, some might be inspired to continue this great practice into 2021 even when we are permitted to gather again in a non-virtual way. Click here to find out more about our services to support you in this area and please reach out to JER@sportlaw.ca for more details.
- We spoke about providing a virtual development program for coaches in 2021 to support their social and emotional intelligence. Inspired by the Sport Leaders Retreat and our work in more humanistic practices to unleash our potential, please connect with Lauren at LLB@sportlaw.ca if you curious about some of our program offerings.
- We acknowledged the distinction between generative tension and harmful conflict. Through our Integral Coaching services, we are committed to supporting more self-awareness, greater empathy, and increased humility in the leaders we work with. To find out more about our ideas on how to steward conflict through courageous conversation, please read this blog.
To access our recording, please visit here: https://sportlaw.ca/downloads/slsg-conversation-matters-you-ask-we-share-december-9-2020/
Our high hopes for the sector are to re-imagine new ways to deal with the stuff that might be keeping you up at night and in so doing, feel less alone as a result. If COVID-19 has taught us anything it’s that we need each other more than ever to work through some of the complexities of leading, living, competing and volunteering in the 21st Century. We wish all of you a healing holiday period where you can grieve your losses and replenish your souls.
The Sport Law & Strategy Group has been providing strategic insight to the Canadian sport community since 1992. We offer a full range of management consulting, leadership development, and legal services to the Canadian sport community. We are accessible, affordable, highly skilled, and we bring experience and common sense to every project.
For more information about this webinar or blog, please contact Dina Bell-Laroche at 613-591-1246 or 613-294-4118 or DBL@sportlaw.ca.